I've been nuts for cupcakes lately. Looking through my pantry, I didn't see many good cupcake ingredients.
I did see oranges in the fridge that will never get eaten.
I saw goat cheese leftover from failed appetizers this past weekend.
And of course my favorite ingredient that must go in everything I create lately (including the failed goat cheese appetizer- Jasmine Blossom Honey!
It all worked out!
These little mini cupcakes are delish!
The frosting is not too sweet, it's light and fluffy.
The goat cheese center complements the orange honey cupcake- this is not an overly sweet cupcake. Good for breakfast? Why the heck not?!
Double Orange Goat Cheese Cupcakes
Recipe modified from Half Baked- the Cake Blog
You will need:
1/2 cup butter, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
Goat Cheese Topping:
6 ounces goat cheese, room temp
1/4 cup sugar
Frosting recipe follows.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 2, 24 muffin pans with cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together the wet ingredients- buttermilk, honey, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Using a tablespoon fill the cupcake liners a little over halfway full, not quite 2/3 full.
- Now make the goat cheese topping.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the goat cheese and sugar until well combined. Mix in the egg.
- Using a teaspoon (or the same tablespoon, but I found a teaspoon easier to use) top the already filled muffin liners with a dollop of the goat cheese topping. Use the tsp to press the dollop down into the batter a bit, but not so much that it reaches the bottom.
- Bake both sheets 8-10 minutes, switching the position of the two baking sheets halfway through.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes, and then remove them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once completely cooled, frost with the frosting.
8 ounces goat cheese, room temp
1/4 cup butter, room temp
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp orange extract (or if you don't have, substitute 1 tbsp orange zext and 2 tsp orange juice)
- Cream goat cheese and butter in large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, mixing to combine.
- Add whipping cream and orange extract. Whip on high speed for several minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
I must admit my measurements on the frosting are approximate- I added and tasted, until I got the consistency and taste I was looking for.
Yes, there is a large amount of whipping cream in this frosting, (who doesn't love whipped cream?!) I was looking for a really light, airy frosting, as a typical buttercream frosting sounded too heavy for these little bites of bliss.
A couple other favorite recipes: