30 October, 2012

Parker House Rolls

Lazy dinner day.

I'm embarrassed to tell you last night I served soup out of a box.  
In all fairness.. it was organic, and expensive for soup in a box.

The Boyfriend didn't like it.  
But I didn't make it! :)
Anyway, to make up for this soup, I figured I'd make some homemade rolls and a nice salad.  
I used Bobby Flay's recipe for Parker House Rolls, and once I got halfway through I realized I didn't have any all-purpose flour. 

Argh. 

What I did have was whole wheat flour and quinoa flour.  Maybe this is a sign.  Healthier rolls!!
So I subbed ALL the flour in Bobby Flay's recipe.  I used 5 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup quinoa flour. 
The rolls came out nice and buttery.
I won't lie to you- they were a little dense.  But only a little.  
The rolls were good when warmed a little in the microwave. But I wouldn't make them the same way again. 

Why am I bothering with this posting then, you ask?

Because despite being a bit dense, this is an excellent and easy recipe for rolls.  The reason for the denseness is because of the flours I used.  I'm not going to post the recipe, because I don't want you to do what I did.  
Try Bobby Flay's recipe.  If you want to make it healthier, sub HALF of the flour with whole wheat flour, but no more than that.  I did add 1 tsp of garlic powder to the dough for garlicky rolls. I do recommend!

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment